Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Study: Allowing Piracy Could Improve Sales

Analysis on report linked below:

A report at Ars Technica says that digital and recording companies would sell more music and games by removing anti-piracy controls and gimmicks like forcing immediate upgrades by releasing half finished product.

Ars T uses Spore as a prime example though I could name a few more in games and have serious issues (along with much of the music industry).

I have bought few games on the last ten years and even less music even though I never pirate.

The reason I don't buy much music is the high cost of weeding through the mountains of garbage.

  At $13-$19 for a CD and the only other source of new music coming from juvenilev radio stations why bother?

(Please Don't dismiss what I'm saying just because you're younger than I am.)

The fact that on-air music stations are focusing on music that is up to 60 years old or mostly crap proves my point that I agree with Ars Technica.

And games and commercials APs follow the same path.

BTW the fact that I'm writing this on a mobile device with the free software input and supported via subscription to my cell service does not mean I approve of it.

My words do not substitute for absolute approval of AT's report as linked below though I agree with much of it.

http://bit.ly/ojb7rK