Sunday, June 22, 2014

Our Trouble With Guns? Maybe It's Their Lockers

Nice Gun locker.  I think I could break that open with some tools from the garage and less than an hour's time.

A Washington Post reported on the recent Oregon shooting:

Padgett had taken the weapons used in the attack from his family home, Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson said.

“The weapons had been secured, but he defeated the security measures,” the chief said.
 I remember seeing some locking gun safes at a local store while I was shopping.  They weren't the flimsiest cabinets I've ever seen, but were they really protection?

A image grabbed from an Internet ad says to me, not really.

The smallish key lock that protrudes from the door seems it could easily be bashed with hammer and chisel or large screwdriver, after Dad left home but before the son needed to be in school.

It doesn't even make sense in a monetary way either, since this cabinet says it will store up to 8 guns.  And they are worth $1500 or more each?

This cabinet costs under $200.  And someone may be seeking to protect more than $12k worth of guns in it?

Not to mention the lawsuits this family may be facing after their son killed a schoolmate.

I have a small fireproof money box, just to make sure I don't have to try to save my cash should there be a fire at my home.  I think the box and lock are more secure than this cabinet and a typical safe for a business has a larger lock that doesn't look like a driver and hammer could easily breach it in the hands of a determined teen.

There can be laws that gun safes be built better, and possibly that gun owners carry insurance on what might be done with their weapons.

Maybe being forced to pay more to protect others from their weapons and from monetary harm someone misusing their weapons will make people think twice about how they store them, and use them.